NATIONAL CONSUMER PROTECTION AUTHORITY
Alternative Dispute Resolution
What is ADR?
ADR is an alternative mechanism to the court system, whereby consumers are offered the opportunity to resolve disputes they may have with traders when they have a problem with the purchase of a product or service.
Thus, complaints against traders are presented voluntary by consumers and are dealt with in an independent, impartial, transparent, fast and fair way.
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Directorate has the competence to settle alternatively national and cross-border disputes arising from sales or service contracts concluded with a trader operating in Romania, in the sectors of activity in which ANPC is competent.
How is the dispute resolved?
In order to settle the dispute, the ADR Directorate operates the mechanism of proposing a solution to the parties, whereby if only one of the parties accepts the proposed solution, the outcome of the procedure is not binding. If the trader does not accept the proposed solution, the ADR Directorate informs the consumer, by means of a decision, of the administrative and judicial remedies available to him to resolve the dispute.
What are the conditions for accessing the ADR procedure?
- The dispute could not be settled directly with the trader;
- The complaint has not previously been considered by another ADR entity or by a court of law, nor has it been submitted to another public authority;
- The complaint shall be lodged within 1 year from the date on which it was submitted to the trader or from the date on which the act giving rise to the dispute was committed;
- Litigation does not seriously affect the efficient functioning of the ADR entity;
- Litigation is not promoted in bad faith and is not offensive;
- The dispute is within the competence of the ADR entity referred.
If the ADR Directorate is unable to review a complaint submitted to it, it will provide both parties with an explanation of the reasons for not reviewing the dispute within 21 calendar days of receipt of the complaint file.
SAL SALES DIRECTORATE